Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

The song "Mercedes Benz" was recorded by Janice Joplin three days before she died, October 4, 1970, at the age of 27.  It's one of the last songs she ever recorded.  When Janice died, she owned a Porsche 356.

My dearest friend Mary loved Janice Joplin, as did I.  A few years ago a group of us decided to go out for pizza during lunch.  Kirk, our coworker, drove us in his minivan, Mary and I were sitting in the back seat, and Bob was in the front.  "Mercedes Benz" came on the radio and Mary started singing along.  She had a nice singing voice.  I joined in, then Bob, then Kirk.  There we were, driving down the road in a minivan, four forty-somethings singing as loud as we could to the A Capella rendition of Janice's last song.  Mary passed away a few months after our pizza field trip on November 1, 2008, at the age of 46.  I miss her every day.

Mary's passing was a huge conk on the head for me.  Aside from the sadness I felt, and still feel, her passing made me realize that we are all limited.  We are all finite.  I've already outlived Janice but will I pass Mary's not-so-old age of 46?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Both are equally possible.

I bought myself a Porsche 987 on October 4th, 2009, just short of the one year anniversary of Mary's death.  I was 43.  I've always wanted one, a fast car, that is.  Ever since I knew what a car was, I couldn't wait to drive.  My first car was a Mustang (and what a POS that thing was!).  I've had more cars now than most people have in a lifetime.  I love cars.  So, I bought a Porsche.  For car fanatics like me, it's the quintessential cruising experience.  Driving with the top down, at speeds I dare not admit, this is living life! 

I lovingly refer to my Porsche as my mid-life crisis car.  It wasn't exactly my mid-life since, technically, the average life span for a woman is 83.  By that, I'm past my mid-life, so I better get a move-on!  Mary, I wish you were here.  You'd be proud.  You inspired me to live my life, to put the top down, drive like a mad woman, and sing as loud as I can.  I may not be here tomorrow.  But today, damn am I having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment