Sunday, November 21, 2010

Her Magesty's a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. Sometimes things are better left unsaid. Sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Most of the time, I forget this.

So here I am, somewhere in the sky, between Atlanta and Houston...blogging. I promise I won't make anyone cry.

I'm on my way to spend Thanksgiving with my family. They're not really my family, I inherited them when I married. But they're my family of the heart. Thank you my friend (and also part of my family) Bunni for teaching me that you don't have to be related to someone to call them family.

I grew up in a weird situation. My family hated each other. Literally. My father resented having kids and my mother...let's just say she never should have had a daughter. By the time I was 11 I had moved myself into the basement of our house, i used to pretend that I had my own apartment and "those other people" were my neighbors. I guess we all do what we have to, to survive.

So, I never had a family I was close to, and I never understood the importance of family. I only had myself to rely on, and that's all I needed. I was perfectly happy with it that way, too...

Until I fell in love with my family. I don't mean "those other people", I don't talk to them anymore. I met and fell in love with the people who are in my life now and who mean the absolute world to me. THEY are my family.

I've been completely overwhelmed by the love and compassion and the welcome I have been given. I have a family, and it's the best thing in the world! I have brothers and sisters and cousins and even a few moms now, and I love every one of them dearly.

Let's face facts, the world can be a big, bad, scary place...everyone ne a family.

5 comments:

  1. As much as my family drives me crazy, I don't know what I would do without them. Your welcome to be part of it; I know we would have found a place for you on Sheridan Street!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie, you're definitely part of my family! Yea, I have a feeling there would have been a place for me at your house! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand your view of family as those who 'become real family.' I learned that those people we grew up around have no special birth right to abuse us. So we both moved on happily to the real people in our life who care. Sounds like we lived the same old, and 'new family' life. I even lived in my apartment basement too. When my sister was little she felt she was put in our family by aliens, and wondered when they were coming to get her out of there! Enjoy your wonderful family time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PQ it does sound like we have a lot in common. I had myself convinced I was adopted. I even asked my mother, several times. I didn't believe her when she said I wasn't! I'm glad we've both moved on and have great lives now, yay for us!

    ReplyDelete