Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again

OK, so the title is a bit cliche.  It wasn't my first choice of titles, but it'll do.  My first choice was "And miles to go before I sleep", but those aren't song lyrics.  So, in keeping with my theme.....

I watched the sunset from the window of the plane last night.  Sunsets are pretty amazing, in and of themselves, but from a plane...  there's nothing like 'em.  The way the sun makes the clouds glow like fire, the accentuated roundness of the Earth makes the sun look miniscule.  For me, they're a reminder of my limited time on this Earth.  A reminder to slow down.  Cheers to sunsets.

Years ago, I took a trip to L.A.  It was my first trip as an adult, I was 18 or 19, and I was on my own.  Well, I was with my boyfriend at the time but he was there for work, so I was on my own during the day.  I rented a car, I bought a map and I drove.  Each day I picked a different direction and I ended up where I ended up.  One day I inevitably ended up in Mexico.  Tijuana.  Not something I'd do again, but, well, lets just say it was memorable.

I stayed in Tijuana only a little while, maybe an hour, and decided it's not for me.  So I came back to the U.S. and hung out in San Diego the rest of the day.  I stayed in S.D. as long as I could, it was gorgeous there! Regrettably, I did have to leave so I dragged myself away from the S.D. Zoo and I walked back to my rental car.  (Am I sensing another blog topic??)

I left San Diego and drove north on the Pacific Coast Highway.  I was a little rushed, I didn't really know where I was and I didn't like the idea of being in a mystery town after dark.  I was driving my usual style (speeding) until I reached a little town called Laguna Beach, which now holds a very special place in my heart. 

Along that stretch of the PCH, the road parallels the ocean.  I couldn't help myself, I had to slow down.  It was the most amazing little town!  I was sightseeing as I drove, no doubt pissing everyone off behind me.  I was so caught up in the amazing houses and shops to my right that I didn't think to look left towards the ocean, but when I did... WOW!!  It was the beginning of the most amazing sunset I'd ever seen.  I pulled off the road onto a little beach access parking lot, stopped, got out of the car, and stood there.  On the beach were dozens of people, all just standing there, watching the sunset.  It was breathtaking.  Literally.  The blues, pinks, oranges, reds, purples of the sunset were all reflected in the Pacific Ocean.  I was surrounded by these colors.  The crashing waves sparkled like Christmas lights in every color of the sunset.  It was magical.

I stood there for a while.  I watched the sunset, then I watched the people who had been watching the sunset.  When the sun was gone, they all slowly crossed the PCH to go back to their houses, their shops....their lives.  Traffic picked up again.  Life began again.  For that small amount of time, though, Laguna Beach had stopped.

It was then that I realized THIS is what is important.  THIS is what life is about.  Not necessarily watching a sunset (although they are pretty amazing!), life is about paying attention to the small gifts we're given. These little, seemingly insignificant details of our days, these are what make up our lives. 

It really, truly is the little things....

No comments:

Post a Comment