Friday, December 10, 2010

You can't always get what you want

Sometimes you just have to let things go.  As much as it hurts, and as much as you want to fight to keep it from happening, some things can't be changed.  Some people can't be changed.

I've been upset for a week now, trying to help a friend.  I realized this morning, and it hit me like a ton of bricks, he doesn't want to be helped.  It's that simple.

It's so hard not to help.  That's what I do.  I help friends, I help animals, I help friends' animals.  It's who I am.  So to let this one go....it's hard.  I have to remind myself, it's not about me.  It's about him, and this is what he wants. 

So, I'll let this one go. 


A poem I wrote in November of 1988.  It's so appropriate for today. 

The world is constantly changing
Spaces shifting
Grooves filling up
New grooves grow
Where do I go?
Places are forever moving
Lovers losing
People disappear
New people show
Where do I go?
Lovers leap
Off cliffs so deep
And nothing keeps
Them from the pains that grow.
A knife through the heart
What a start
To a man torn apart
From a world so well known.
Disappointment reigns
Pumps through veins
And drowns them from
The world they know.
Where do I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment