Sunday, December 5, 2010

I just believe in me.

I feel like I haven't blogged in weeks now, realistically it's only been a few days.  Oh, how easy it is to fall out of habit!  I've been suffering from writer's block, I quite possibly may have run out of things to say.  (Gasp!) I'll just keep typing and I'll see where this one leads.  I may have something to say after all.

It's three weeks before Christmas.  I'm just not feeling it this year.  I'm not really a Christian anyway, so Christmas for me isn't about the Virgin Mary giving birth to the world's Lord and Savior.  I don't intend to sound mocking, there are people in the world who take Christianity very seriously and I respect them for their beliefs.   I also respect those who take Judaism seriously, or Muslim, or Hindu, or Pagan, or to whatever belief system they subscribe.  Whatever floats your boat.  Or, in the immortal words of John Lennon, "Whatever gets you though the night". 

This Wednesday, December 8, is the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's assassination. I was riding the school bus when I heard he had died, I was in the 9th grade.  I cried, along with a few others on the bus that day.  It was, and has remained, one of my saddest days.  I grew up listening to The Beatles, John was always my favorite.  Paul was always the cutie, but Lennon, he was the genius as far as I was concerned.  His words resonated with an entire world of people.  He bridged gaps.  He communicated.  He caused havoc, had protests and "bed ins".  Some people loved him, and some people were terrified.  I loved him.  His words were amazing.  They still bring me peace.

So, I'm going to end my blog today with the lyrics to John Lennon's song, "God".  Since most people have heard his more mainstream songs, this is the one I'm chosing to include.  It's not usually played on the radio, for obvious reasons, but it's a great song none-the-less.  I encourage you to listen to it some day.

God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in Bible,
I don't believe in Tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in Mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in Yoga,
I don't believe in Kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was the dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment