Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wings a mile long just carried the bird away

I had an amazing experience a few weeks ago.  I witnessed a family of robins lay their eggs, raise their young, and move along to live their lives.  All in only two weeks.  It was breathtaking.  It was inspiring.  It was beautiful, and sad, and left me feeling absolutely humbled that these creatures allowed me to observe their lives.  I miss them, and now every time I see a robin I wonder if it's someone I once knew.

Taking pictures of these baby birds and sharing them with my friends was such an absolutely fabulous experience.  Not only did the birds bring me pleasure, it brought me so much joy to share the photos with my friends.  It was a crazy amazing experience, which, once I thought about it, is actually pretty typical for my life.  My time here seems to be a collection of crazy amazing experiences.  I don't understand if my life is this way because I'm somehow being given fantastic gifts, or if it's just that I'm super sensitive and I notice the little things.  Or both.  Either way, these things happen to me.  All the time.


Sharing my life on-line is not something that comes easily to me.  I have a growing collection of poems and short stories I've written over the years, and yet I've only shared a few.   As I get older, though, I'm realizing the importance of sharing myself with the world.  Leaving my mark, my proof that I was here and I witnessed these amazing things that this world shows me.  Through my writing, not only am I leaving my own legacy, but I'm also leaving the legacy of all of these experiences that have been given to me.  I existed, and so did these birds, these horses, these people... all of the wonderful beings who's paths I've crossed.

I'm a believer that there are lessons to be learned every day.  Most of the time I don't have a clue what the lesson actually is.  Sometimes I think I get it, and then I write about it.  So, welcome to today's blog.  This fleeting moment of lucidity, or possibly insanity, in which I record my thoughts for this instant.  Not unlike those photographs I took of the baby birds, capturing those brief moments in their lives and then sharing them with the world.  They have lived, and so have I.   

Here's a link to my baby robin photos.  Hopefully everyone can see them. Enjoy!
Baby Robins

No comments:

Post a Comment