Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Behind our glass we'll sit and look at our ever-open book

Why do I always feel the need to start out every blog with an apology?  Life can be so demanding sometimes that the length between blogs becomes protracted.  Also, why do I always feel like I need to give an excuse?  So, OK, I'm sorry it took so long.  I was busy.  LOL (and I hope you're LOL along with me!)

On Christmas I had blogged about my two little senior citizen mice, Bella and Sweetie.  They were the surviving offspring of my wonderful little mouse friend, Martha, who taught me that each and every little being is as alive as I am.  Well, I'm sorry to report that Bella died.  When she went, her sister, Sweetie, was curled up with her in their nest.  Sweetie knew Bella was not long for the world, she would groom Bella, bring her food, and would cuddle her to keep her warm.  When Bella died, I was afraid that Sweetie would die along with her.  For days, Sweetie wandered around her little habitat, she seemed so lonely.  Sweetie has two next door neighbors, Lily and Daisy, who are bonded sisters.  I had contemplated putting Sweetie in with them, but I was worried that they wouldn't get along.  So Sweetie lives in her big habitat, by herself.

About a week ago, I gave Sweetie a big, fluffy pom-pom.  I thought maybe she'd like to play with it, or tear it up to line her nest.  Well, Sweetie did me one better.  She dragged this mysterious fluff-ball into her nest, covered it with shredded toilet paper, and she snuggles with it every day.  It's her new BFF.  If I move the pom-pom, she moves it back to where it "belongs".  Children have their security blankets or their stuffed dolls, my Sweetie mouse has her pom-pom.  After she "found" this pom-pom, her demeanor changed.  She perked up.  She started taking treats out of my hand again.  She runs on her wheel, she stashes her sunflower seeds for a midnight snack.  She is back to being her little Sweetie self.  I guess everyone needs a companion, and for Sweetie, this pom-pom is hers.

My first mouse, Marty, also had a little "companion".  Marty was a tiny little baby when I found him.  I estimated that he was only about a week old.  I fed him, and he thrived.  He was a contemporary of Martha, they lived in neighboring habitats.  Marty was also a single mouse living alone.  He loved being petted.  When he heard my voice he would come running and I would give him scritches.  His back leg would kick when I scratched the right spots...behind his ears, or in his little armpits.  He was sweet and friendly and particular and greedy... he was a completely unique being.  I loved that little guy.  Well, one day a catalog came in the mail and stapled in the center was a fleece fabric sample.  It was a little red square of fabric about 3".  I pulled the staple out and gave Marty the little mouse-size fleece blanket.  Marty was so happy to "find" this little blanket!  Marty dragged it into his nest and covered himself up.  When it was warm, he'd lay on top of it, if it was cold, he'd burrow underneath.  When I cleaned his cage, I had to take his little blanket out, wash it, and put it back in...where he would drag it back into his new nest.  It was his companion.

Having these pet mice over the years has taught me that all living creatures have needs.  We all need companionship.  We all need to love and be loved.  We all need to feel safe, to feel warm, to be happy.  I hope I'm doing right by these little creatures.  I only take them in if they need my help, I only keep them if they want to be kept.  Ironically, so far they've all wanted to stay.

Rest in peace, Bella.  Tell Martha, Marty, and the rest of the gang I say hi, and thanks for teaching me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment